Veggie burgers made with oats, carrots and black beans. Seasoned to perfection with smoked paprika, chili powder and ground cumin. Seriously satisfying, bursting with flavors and delicious enough to please meat-eaters and vegetarians alike!
Okay, I hope I’m not the only one who gets jealous and hungry when I scroll through food pictures on Instagram. My foodie friends create amazing things like scrumptious buddha bowls, cakes made from cauliflower and mouthwatering vegan burgers. I must admit, I’ve been wanting to try a veggie burger for some time now, but just haven’t been able to make one because I’m always missing at least one ingredient at home, be it tomato, lettuce or burger buns.
On my birthday I went to a vegan restaurant. Naturally, I chose the recommended black bean burger with veggies and vegan mayonnaise.
… I cannot even begin to tell you how delicious it was. It was tender, flavorful and hearty. Every bite was a delight. Ever since then, I’ve been on the search for the perfect black bean burger recipe. I looked up a bunch of recipes on the internet, but I was always missing a couple of things from each recipe, so I tried creating my own.
Let me tell you first that I did not expect my burger to taste good, let alone, this good. It was my first time, you see. I have to be honest and say that it doesn’t taste as amazing as the one I had at the vegan restaurant, that one is tough to beat. But it’s incredibly easy to make and definitely won’t let you down.
The carrot black bean burger patties are made of grated carrot, a few cloves of garlic, minced onion, black beans, instant oats, an egg and a lot of flavorful spices. If you’re a vegan, you might be able to substitute the egg with another binder like a flax egg or a chia egg.
You don’t need a food processor for this recipe. Simple cook the onions, garlic, carrot and spices on a pan for a few minutes, then combine with the beans. Stir in one egg and half a cup of oats. The mixture should be very sticky. I was able to form 5 thick patties with this recipe. Pan-fry them until golden-brown, serve with buns, cheese and veggies, and you’re done.
Hey, that was easy!
Have I mentioned that even my mom and sister loved these?
They’re not vegetarian, but they enjoyed every single bite, that’s how good they are.
You guys are gonna love these burgers! They’re simple, flavorful, super healthy and seriously delicious. Oh, I forgot to mention that each of these burgers have nearly 20 grams of protein. You’re definitely going to feel full, fueled and satisfied after one of these, or two, I had two and I normally don’t eat a lot.
Are you craving burgers now?
Incase you do, scroll down to find the recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup onion (finely diced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup instant oats
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (for frying)
- 5 whole-wheat burger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Place black beans in a large bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Add carrot, onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until carrots are tender. Add smoked paprika, chili powder, ground cumin and parsley. Remove pan from heat.
- Add the contents of the pan to the mashed beans. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add instant oats and egg. Combine well. The mixture should be thick, moist but still moldable.
- Four five patties.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and cook the patties over medium heat for 5 minutes on the first side. Flip and place a slice of cheese onto each patty. Cook the second side for another 5 minutes. The patties should look crisp and lightly browned.
- Grill the buns on a pan until warmed through. Spread the buns with ketchup. Place lettuce, tomatoes and the patties on the buns.
- Substitute the egg with a flax egg for a vegan version.